Permits are the documents issued by the City of Trenton Building Department to oversee and approve any changes to physical structures. You must acquire the correct permit if you plan on making home improvements yourself or with the help of a contractor, architect, or construction company. Permits ensure that you are in compliance with the City of Trenton building codes which control the processes of renovation, construction, demolition or other changes in the use of a physical structure.
Building permits are not a matter of simply dropping off a piece of paper to the Building Department. There are several stages in the process of getting your project "permitted." In most situations, you will submit plans, like blueprints or sketches, of what you intend to do, a city inspector will approve the idea, and then you will be allowed to begin construction. During the stages of the project the City of Trenton will need to be informed of the progress so they can send out an inspector to approve the project through each phase as determined by the project outline. When construction is complete, The Building Department will need to provide sign-off stating the project is complete and available for use.

The cost for permits varies depending on the scope and type of work. Once you have submitted your permit and it is approved, the building department will provide you with the fees for the permit.

  1. New Construction or Addition
  2. Accessory Structures
  3. Interior Remodeling
  4. Electrical Work or Repair
  5. Plumbing Work or Repair
  6. Mechanical Work or Repair
  7. swimming pool installation
  8. Sign Permit Application
  9. Site Plan Permit - uTILITIES Application 

New Construction or Addition

A building permit is required to repair, construct, alter, demolish or change a building or structure, or to cause any such work to be performed. The following are the permits and some of the documents that may need to be submitted for the project, depending on the scope of project:
Building & Zoning Permit Application
Site Plan (You submit this documentation)
Electrical Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application
Mechanical Permit Application
Sewer Permit Application